Saturday, February 12, 2011

Christina Aguilera and Super Bowl "Whoopsie"...My Take

OK, I have been asked by countless people my thoughts on the Christina Aguilera "boo boo" while she sang the National Anthem before the Super Bowl.  I've been asked by football fans, friends, and even had debates with my professional musician friends.  I hope to answer everyone here and put a period at the end of this "mishap".
 - I will state this before I begin...in preparing to write this I asked some others their thoughts on it.  The majority had no idea she even missed a note and most enjoyed it.
First let me say I am a professional musician, I am a football fan, and I do believe that Christina Aguilera is a vocal talent like no other today.  With that said...let me address the basic question and answer.
The question always approaches me simply..."So, what do you think about the Christina incident at the Super Bowl?"  My simple answer is that I completely and totally back her and her performace of the National Anthem.  Now, when I gave that opinion freely to some friends of mine I was asked if I was crazy.  So I re-evaluated my stance.  After carefully considering the possible angles of how people viewed this I still came to the same overall conclusion...she did a great job and I'm very proud of her.  Now I will explain.
I was looking forward to hearing her sing since I first got the news she had been asked to.  It was going to be a highlight for me for Super Bowl Sunday.  I will say, as she started I saw something in her eyes that told me this could go wrong (almost "deer in the headlights"), but as she started to sing I felt myself right there with her cheering her on.  Each note came out in perfect Christina style and I appreciated her interpretation.
 - Let me pause for a second to address the "purists" who beat her up so mercilessly online.  I get your point.  You want to hear the "Star Spangled Banner" in it's purest and most legitimate format.  Some of you even suggested taking singers out of it altogether and just have a combination of the military bands play it with the pride and power we know they can.  I get it.  I play military funerals all the time and to "jazz up" Taps would be a travesty.  However, in this venue and on this stage of the Super Bowl and the person singing being considered...you knew it was coming.  Don't act shocked and please don't beat this amazing talent up for her creativity and her ability...which is far superior to most anyone making the negative comments.  Leave armchair quarterbacking to the football game and leave the musical talent alone.
Now, back to my post.  By the end of her rendition I was in tears, as were many on the sidelines and in the stands.  I feel she did her best job and I was happy for her.
Then the posts started and the media latched on to her "whoopsie".  It was at this point I had no idea myself that she had even messed up.  That tells me one thing...she was in the middle of the grandest performance of her life...she missed lines...and still sang with the passion and power the song deserved.  Lesser artists would have bailed on the live stage or started over.  So, I replayed the video that was posted and sure enough..."O'er the ramparts we watched were so galantly streaming" had been replaced by a mix of words that really did not belong together.  I heard it and I thought immediately, "Hmmm, even the best can get a little emotion boggled in a big moment."
However, the media was less than kind and they continued to smash her for her "mistake".  The more they picked, the more upset I got.  Here's where my musical education background and love for people who truly love and appreciate music came out.  I backed her even more, and here's why:
1 - She sang it LIVE.  She did not rely on a recording for "safety".  Those who would compare previous Super Bowl Anthem performers have no comparison because it's not there.  In fact...ACCAPELLA and LIVE.  Double whammy few could even boast wanting to attempt.
2 - She dressed with class and humility.  We have all seen Christina migrate into her "Diirty" girl persona.  Even her songs lend themselves to being less than worthy of even a primetime spot.  However, she chose an understated black suit...no bling (except on her shoes).  This tells me she honored her position and what she was asked to do.  It also tells me that she was telling the world, "It's not about me".  Who can't appreciate that?
All-in-all, she was great.  Sure, she needed to acknowledge her mishap, but her response was just what I felt it would be.  She stated she got caught up in the moment and lost her place.  So, my third reason is...
3 - She acknowledged her flub and had the most legitimate and reaosnable reason any of us could hope for.  Being a musician, I TOTALLY understand that.  Again, when I play Taps at a graveside I get one shot to honor the fallen.  Lots can go wrong and there are variables even the most seasoned could not be ready for.  Stuff happens in live performances.  For those who want to beat up Christina, go on over to youtube and search for JFK Taps.  One man...military and professionally trained musician.  Largest stage of his life.  24 seemingly simple notes.  He splits one and people call it "emotion".  OK...then let's use the same logic people.
I looked at this from every angle and from every position I could.  I still end up standing right next to Christina and thanking her for a gutsy job well done.  Had I been right there I may not have even heard the mistake even then, but had I...I would have been right there to tell her, "It's OK...it happens."
That's my take on Christina and I can't wait to hear her sing again anywhere and anytime.

If you missed it, here she is...doing her best...

No comments:

Post a Comment