Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's October, So Think Pink?!

It's the month of October. While the children in our lives get excited about what Halloween costume they might be wearing and we all feel that little cool in the air, there is another reason to make October a little more special each year. October, for the last few years at least, has served as the official month for breast cancer awareness. Companies and retailers get out their pink colored products and display the fact that they help support a cause for research and cures for breast cancer. We start seeing emails come to us about various events and fund raisers that are happening all over to help raise money and awareness for breast cancer.

For my very first year, I have decided to take part in raising funds for this cause AND put my body in the action through the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Birmingham, Alabama. I am not much of a runner, but figured I could put together a decent showing for 3.2 miles of distance without causing myself too much physical pain or general embarrassment. How it all happened is kind of a nice story, but I will just post some points for all of us to consider as we go through October and help those around us to be more aware of this good cause:

1 - We have all been effected by someone with breast cancer. If we stop for just a moment, we can think of someone we are either directly of indirectly in touch with who has been effected. Any kind of cancer brings its own set of concerns, but for women this one ranks at the top. The physical and psychological effects can be devastating. Some have died as a result of having it, while others have battled on after some severe surgeries. I can think of no better reason to support a cause than to possible be able to help in some way those I know.
2 - You don't have to do it all by yourself. The reason these companies offer special products and these races are offered is so that the collective good of many people can allow us to at least give something. $5.00 may not seem like a great amount, but multiplied by thousands of people all working with their own $5.00 a life could be saved. We don't have to give it all by ourselves. A small part makes a big difference.
3 - Giving time is just a valuable as money. Maybe funds are tight and even $5.00 seems like a hurdle. We all understand that. However, there are ways you can give of your time to these causes. Maybe join a team in a race or offer to volunteer to help raise money in someone's behalf. The only thing I would consider a bad move in this process would be to not move at all. Be creative and do what you can to help those in need.

Those are a few things we should keep in mind as those around us all become more aware. Hopefully we do as well. As for my participation in the Race for the Cure, I have stated that I would not only race but also attempt to raise $100. I also joined a team whose goal is $1000.00. The reality goes back to what I stated earlier. Everyone working together with their small piece adds up to a big piece that can make a difference. With that in mind, please go to my personal race page here and donate directly for me and my $100.00 goal. If you would rather give directly to the team "Counting Our Blessings", please go here. In fact, if you are feeling good about yourself, join the team and come run with us on October 15, 2011. It's early on a Saturday but when it's over I plan on feeling pretty good about doing all I could do to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment